How do I say? is where one may put any asking to how something ought to be said. Must put a new heading for each asking, with the word as the heading's name, and below write anent the word to give a better clue as to what is needed. Also write any thought that thou has on the word.

Agent Edit

The word has a large range of meanings in different contexts.

  • One who acts for, or in the place of, another (the principal), by authority from him/her; someone entrusted to do the business of another

I thought of "formiddle" (vb), "formiddler" (n) (cf. Norwegian Vormidler, NHG Vermittler)

  • An active power or cause or substance; something which has the power to produce an effect.

Idea: for a substance, definitely "workstuff" (cf NHG Wirkstoff).

Dr., Graduate, Student Edit

Wondering how to say the honorific Dr. (as in someone who holds the highest degree in university.) Similarly can't find a word for graduate, or student.

  • I don't know a good wellhead whence to take the way of spelling Old English words in the way of nowtide Anglish; however, the Old English for "doctor" in the meaning you're seeking is "lārēow". "Lār" is nowtide Anglish "lore". "ēow" is a bit less wis. It could be something like "lorew", "loreew", "lorow", or "lorue" if it is spelled as some of the like words in the Old English Wordbook. The English Wordbook also calls up this word, "lārēow" and spells it "lorer." For "academic", the English Wordbook gives "loreman" for "academic".
  • A "student" is a "learner". If this doesn't have quite the feeling you're seeking, you could overset "protégé" as "ward". You may also choose "scholar"; although it is firstly of Latinish or Greek beginning, the word came into Old English before the Norman Infaring.
  • "Graduate" comes from the Latin for "step", meaning in a way that a "graduate" has been set up a step higher. If you choose "scholar", I like the look of "overscholar", as it seems to mean the scholar has been set up higher than the rest. User:Pandoradoggle 22 September 2017


How might one say syllogism? I could see it being based off of witcraft, something like "withwit" to keep true to the wordlore.

  • Maybe a "witcraftish deeming" to overset "logical inference". A "deduction" could be overset a "leading", maybe a "wit leading".User:Pandoradoggle 7 September 2017


I'm seeking a word to stand in for "deputy" or "delegate". This would be someone to whom is given right to speak and do on behalf of the redeship.

I have thought about "fortreader" as a loanoversetting of the German "vertreter" for "representative", but this word also means something more akin to "trampler" in both English (though it has fallen out of brook) and Dutch.

I have thought about "stand-in" and "aset" (from "erstaz"), but these don't seem to have a feeling of having been bestowed right and might to me - even moreso aset, as "ersatz" tends toward seeming a lesser thing or a sham.

I have also sought to build a new word, "sendling", as one who is sent, but I am not muchly skilled in wordcraft, and I have a feeling this is not truly a good word to mean "deputy" or "delegate". User:Pandoradoggle 6 September 2017

  • Further thoughts - to overset "lieutenant", maybe "steadholder".
  • A loanoversetting of NHG "Bodeschafter" ("ambassador, emissary"), "bidshipper".
  • Good tidings, everyone - a word that has this meaning is in the Old English wordbook already, though I had yet to search there: spellboder. User:Pandoradoggle 21 September 2017


How would one go about saying utopia? I don't think this needs much context. Apologies for the lack of Anglish in this post.

There is a good oversetting for this; "Neverland" or "Dreamworld". Alfredikus (talk) 14:18, April 24, 2017 (UTC)


Does anyone have a favoured theedening for 'priest', in the sense of 'one who makes offerings to a god'? Thoughts my friends and I have talked anent include:



I would use Elder. -- TheBigHairy

  • You may also bethink oversetting "intercessor", maybe as "go-between", or "mediator" as "middleman".
  • The Jewish word "kohen" comes from a Shemish root word that means "diviner" or "augur", like unto "soothsayer". "Divine" as a deedword also comes from the Latin for godly. An "augur" is a foreteller or foreboder. User:Pandoradoggle 7 September 2017



Sorry for the lack of Anglish in this post, I'm new to the Moot and not fluent in it. A question came up on a forum I frequent about the word "referendum". Is there an extant Anglish word for it, or would one have to be created? 16:18, September 28, 2011 (UTC)

'Moot' would be near that word. Another would be 'folksanswer,' an oversetting of the Theedish 'Volksentscheid.' --Anonymous, December 23, 2016(UTC) "Folksay" may be OK?

TOWN is a Teutonic rooted word, not CelticEdit

TOWN << O.E. tun "farmstead, homestead, village, enclosure" << PGmc.*tuna-, *tunaz "hedge". O.E. tun maybe be akin to O.Ir. dun "shut"; cf. L.G. tun, G Zaun, M.Du. tuin, O.H.G. zun, O.N. tun (this is not only a wonted ending in English town names, but also greatly in Icelandic town names. The O.Celt. word dunos "mountain" was borrowed into English, but that became E. down.

Is "ode" Anglish?Edit

Many etymologists claim the word ode came into Middle English from French<Latin<Greek. Coming from the Greek word "aoide" from the same root as audio: "aude". But "Old English had the noun wōþ "song, sound", corresponding to Old Norse óðr, which has the meaning "mad furious" but also "song, poetry". " Óðr is angliziced as Odr or Od. These words are older than when they say it came from French. This makes me think ode is Anglish not Greek. I would like to know what everyone thinks about this.

The modern English "ode" is likely from Latin<Greek based on the observation that English has strongly retained its 'w' sound. If it was native we would expect the 'w' to survive. This is not to say that the suggestions of woth, wod, od are not possible or at least a possible parallel evolution from a common IE root. "Audio" is actually a Latin verb meaning "(to) hear" --- clearly related. The noun form is probably from Greek as mentioned. An Anglish substitute (based on presumed parallel evolution) could be long 'o' woth or wod ... either of which bring you face-to-face with that uniquely Germanic god, Odin-Woden - a master of poetry. 

FARM is an Old English WordEdit

This word is always said to be from Old French ferme << M.L. firma (L. firmare). It is not so. 'Farm' is from Old English feorm, which is where M.L. firma, ferma, and Old French ferme come from. It is true that L. fimare and L. firmus did help shape the Old French and Middle English words meaning and look, though. Take a look at the following works:

1) Wikitionary entry "Farm"-

2) Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia, Vol. III (1906), pg. 2143 under "Farm", by William Dwight Whitney, Ph.D., LL.D., Yale University

3) DD Secular Administration, 11.3.d Latinized Vernacular Forms, pg. 221, by Brigitte Bedos-Rezak, Medieval Latin: an introduction and bibliographical guide (1996) by Frank Anthony, Carl Mantello, A.G. Rigg

Therefore, there is no need to find or make a new word for FARM.


There should be some marking on the kennings. Farm is akennt to yields offered to the owner or land whose growth is yielded to the owner, but bow is akennt to the land sown for growing food. Xelebes 16:28, June 6, 2011 (UTC)

Tolerance levelEdit

As in 'the load was above the tolerance level of the framework'. I would like the word to fit with all meanings, not only the narrow meaning of 'load'. I think the word ought to be built upon 'brook', but the only thought I can come up with is 'brookwidth'. Oswax Scolere

the letting breakeven? the lettable breakeven? --Wordsmith 07:43, 29 January 2006 (UTC)
"Was greater than the holding level" or "higher than the holding level", although "higher" might confuse ppl a bit.
Breakingmark. :) Xelebes 16:30, June 6, 2011 (UTC)
"To be above the tolerance level" = "To win the withstanding". (Or perhaps "To breach the withstanding" offhanging on your meaning.) Both halve your staveness tale, anyway.

Wouldn't threshold be the appropriate word? It does normally mean the entry or trigger point, but surely it works for tolerance level.


Any ideas?

I have a pre-thesaurus thesaurus(1830), called The Writer's Assistant OR A Compendium of English Synonym's. Maybe something calqueish along those lines? I say, just leave it. It's quite far from the heart of the language, is a nice word, etc. Dictionary is nice as Wordbook because Wordbook is easy and obvious. ~Inkstersco 3 Jan 06
Wordnet--Wordsmith 07:32, 29 January 2006 (UTC)
Thesaurus was greek for store-house, how about wordstore? JimTS 20:47, 9 March 2007 (UTC)
It clinks good but store is from Old French --Schreiter 01:41, 20 September 2008 (UTC)
Mine is called The Synonym Finder. The foreword begins with "There have been many synonym books and thesauri...". So maybe something like likeword finder or likeword book. --Schreiter 01:41, 20 September 2008 (UTC)

How about "samewordbook" for "thesaurus" because you could see the meaning in your mind's eye? Sabbath Stone 16:46, 16 January 2009 (UTC)

How about "Wordchest?" O.E. cest "box, coffer," from P.Gmc. *kista, an early borrowing from L. cista, from Gk. kiste "a box, basket," from PIE *kista "woven container." Sholto 22:45, 17 January 2009 (UTC)

"Wordstock" could also be used, but it doesn't have the same clear-cut meaning as "samewordbook."

Wordhoard is the most straightforward oversetting. Thesaurus is afterall the Greek word for hoard (or in the shape in which it was borrowed from French, a treasury, and treasure). See here how Latinish ' 'thesaurus was rendered as -hord in OE (with sundry forefastenings, hinging on the kind of thesaurus at hand.)

The equivalent term in German is Wortschatz which is analagously made up of the word Wort, word + Schatz, 'treasure, hord'. As you can see it means lexicon, vocabulary', and thesaurus, and word pool/ 'word bank, all of which can be overset well by English wordhord. Wortschatz is glossed with wordhord in Gerhard Koebler's neuhochdetsch-altenglisches Woerterbuch. --Speechlarer 9:51:19. 27 April 2012 (UTC)


[if we need a word for "grocer", that is] I was thinking "wholesaler", or perhaps "wortsaler/wortseller" or "veg[etable]seller/saler" or "greenseller/saler". BryanAJParry 17:20, 5 Jan 2006 (UTC)

Foodstuffshandler,Foodsalesman--Wordsmith 07:35, 29 January 2006 (UTC)
Wortmonger or Greenmonger. ~Inkstersco
Growsaler, Growseller, Growmonger... I don't know about you guys but as much as Wort is the root for Plants, it's not so appetizing as it's like that funky thing growing on your finger or face.

Social ClassEdit

Alright, here goes:

Class(n) -- Rank, Birthrank
Genteel -- Well-born, well-bred
Gentleman -- Welbredsman
Establishment, the -- The Steadyhood
Upper-class -- Inner-Steadyhood
Middle-class -- Outer-steadyhood, Yeoman
Lower-class -- Lower rank, shabbyrank
Working-class -- Working rank, Workerhood, Handyrank, Shabbyrank
Aristocrat -- Rikeborn
Bourgeouis (adj) -- Wealthtrothen, Wealthbound
Bourgeouis (n) -- Wealthbound, Swell
Proletariat(n) -- Working-poor
Officitariat(n) -- Clerkhood
Government, the -- The Rikehood
Navvy -- Handworker
Chav -- Hoodrat
Gutter -- Roadgroove
Valet -- Steward, Radman, Welbredsman's welbredsman
Priviledge -- Perk, rankperk, rankluck, birthluck
Distinguished -- Aloof, outstanding
Snob -- Snoot, high-hat

Well-born is established, and as ambiguous as "gentleman". "Rank" is of Germanic origin, and an 18th\19th century term for "class"

Inkstersco 09:10, 2 July 2006 (UTC)

Although rank is of Thedish root, its having come from Old French does it in for me. Rung, maybe? --Schreiter 03:01, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
Churlfolk may be a better word for 'Proletariat,' as its forebear meant 'common people' in Old English. --Faxfleet 20:01, February 16, 2010 (UTC)
Bourgeois can be lifted over wholemeal into Anglish: Burghish or Burghfolk. Xelebes 19:22, June 6, 2011 (UTC)
Perk comes from perquisite, a Latin word, through Old French. For the different rungs, we can
say "high-born", "mid-born", and "low-born". we can switch "aristocrat" with "wellbred-riker"
since "aristocracy" would mean "wellbornrike." For "gutter" (since they are also found on the
sides of houses) we may say "rainholder" or "dropholder."
Noble in OE is aethel, which in Middle Eng. is athel or ethel, while nobility (the status) in OE is aedhel-boren-nes, so athelbornness (ethelness means excellence) and nobility (a group of nobles) is ethelkind, so there is no need to make up words. Also beadledom is word for beurocracy, but clerkhood sweys okay. For Bourgeouis, the "quintessential" birtish english word "chap" could be handy as a chapman is a merchant, okay maybe not that handy... Squidonius 20:13, April 26, 2012 (UTC)

'Privelege', which means literally "private law", could be 'sundorlaw' or 'sundrelaw', coming from the OE word for separate (sundrian, syndrig). This is also where we get the word 'sundry', meaning [many] separate (things). Edit

Past ParticipleEdit

Can anybody think of an Anglish swap for the term 'Past Participle'? I have done a writ but these are the only words I have not been able to Anglish? Any help would be welcome. 15:07, 22 August 2006 (UTC)

Some ESOL books use the words "the third form" instead of "past participle" - this jargon is already in use in certain areas of English teaching. The nitty gritty here is that the third form is used both for "perfect" verb meanings and also to form the so-called "passive". With two almost against-each-other usages it seems better to have a pretty meaningless label.

That sounds like a challenge.
How about,
Past Wordway
Past Meanway
Past Bymean
Past Meanling
Past Wordeldth
Past Deedeldth
I'm not happy with any of them.

Yeah its a tricky one. I have tried to draw on German and Dutch words but without success so far. German = Partizip Perfekt and Dutch = Verleden Deelwoord which I think roughly translates as 'Past Partword or bitword' or something like that. Its hard to find an elegant match :( 14:18, 23 August 2006 (UTC)

Define "past participle". A lot of folks confuse it with the past perfect. The past participle is, literally, a verbal adjective. So, "past workwordish honeword", perhaps? Bryan 21:37, 23 August 2006 (UTC)
So "he is upset", is past participle, whereas "don't upset him" is past perfect? What do Workdworkish and Honeword mean? I think -ish should not be used as a topical usffix. -ly, or nothing at all, work better. ~Inkstersco
I think Bryan is on the right path. If we look at what it does instead of where the name comes from, we will maybe get nearer to making a good name for it.
From Wikipedia: In linguistics, a participle is a kind of verbal adjective; it indicates that the noun it modifies is a participant in the action that the participle refers to.
So we could start with the fact that it is an adjective or 'honeword' (assuming we wish to use that word for adjective). From there we need to show that it is linking the noun to a deed. So that might suggest something like 'deedhoneword' or 'linkhoneword' or even 'sharehoneword' (since it 'shares' the deed with a noun). I don't think any of these are particularly great, partly because they are maniparted compounds which remind me of German when it goes to excess. I suppose that if we decided that this was alright for Anglish, then one of these words would be acceptable. My choosing would be 'deedhoneword' for it most nearly translates 'verbal adjective', though it could imaginably be confused for 'adverb' (though I would use 'likeword' for that).
On a slightly connected matter, 'deedhoneword' for participle would suggest 'deednameword' for gerund, which is useful (like the above, it would translate as 'verbal noun').
As for 'past', I would normally bring it over as 'foregone'. That would translate the whole thing 'past participle' as 'foregone deedhoneword'. Not pretty to my eyes, but liken to the Dutch 'Verleden Deelwoord', and you get the sense that it may be acceptable. I think there may be a better word out there, but these are my thoughts, it's up to you, you're the translator. Oswax Scolere 08:07, 24 August 2006 (UTC)
I, for one, þink "maniparted compounds ðæt reminde me(you) of German when it goes to excess", as ðou calleſt þem, are alriȝt, my train of þouȝt þere beïng ðæt þe whole point of Angliſch is to make þe Engliſch vocab mor Germanic.😉Ðæ Bronie Chriſter (talk) 21:54, October 14, 2016 (UTC)
I'm a little lost. Why is Adjective Honeword? Doesn't Hone mean to gravitate toward something? Alright -- so let's take that as read. So participle is Deed-adjective, as in Action-adjective? I see. We're talking about adjectives such as "he's wasted", etc?
I've got it! Let's calque the phrase "Verbal adjective".
Deedword-honeword for Participle ?
What about "Done honeword" for Past Participle?
Or Bygone Deedword-Honeword -- Long but elegant.
Firstly, 'hone' means 'sharpen' not 'gravitate towards', and 'honeword' was my word for 'adjective'. The thought being that an adjective 'honed' the meaning of a nameword. As such 'a shirt' is honed to a narrower meaning by the adjective 'red', giving ' a red shirt'. I don't know if it was ever wholly agreed upon, but I do remember there was a problem with some of the other suggestions.
I thought my suggestion was a calque of 'verbal adjective'!? I don't normally go in for calques, but at least here the meaning is clear, unlike if we were to try and calque 'adjective' directly (it would come out as something like 'throwntoword') or even 'participle' (which come out as 'sharer', hard to understand as to meaning, and, ironically, would be a calque of a calque!). Oswax Scolere 10:39, 24 August 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for your input guys. You've given me a lot to work with here :) If we can come to an agreement on an Anglish 'past participle' maybe it would be a good word to put in the Speechlore section of the Technical Words bit. Hereward 10:51, 24 August 2006 (UTC)
Oh yes, as for 'Past', I wasn't sure whether to Anglish it or not. I did consider using 'Foregone' as you suggested Oswax and also 'bygone' as they both indicate time which has gone by. It was the 'Participle' which was the tricky one, like you said, to calque it would mean calling it a 'sharer' or even a 'partaker' which even then is only a hybrid word. They don't really give a clear meaning do they? But thanks for all your thoughts, you have been most helpful. Hereward 10:59, 24 August 2006 (UTC)

If I am correct the Dutch "deelwoord" would be equivalent to "dealword" in English. This would give us the following possible suggesstions for Past Participle: Foregone Dealword, Bygone Dealword or Eretide Dealword. (I like the terms eretide and forthtide for past and future) Any thoughts on these?

Remember, Hereafter(noun) is already an attested word for Future, except it means the future of now. Thereafter also means Future. ~Inkstersco
In Old English, 'past' was 'forðgewiten,' which would be modernized as 'forthwist.' (Speaking of times, 'present' would be 'andward' from 'andweard' and 'future' would be 'towardness' from 'tóweardnes'). 'Participle' was 'dǽlnimend,' and so we would have in Anglish 'dealnimmand.' Therefore, the most traditional of English forms for 'past participle' would be 'forthwist dealnimmand.' It may sound somewhat vacuous at first, but most Latinate grammar terms do also to the lay reader, and more importantly, it bears the richness of native word-shape intended by Anglish. My source is the excellent 'Old English Made Easy' web site, specifically for grammatical terms at --Faxfleet 17:21, February 28, 2010 (UTC)


Since I came to this site through procrastinating, (er, timewasting?) on NaNoWriMo, I was wondering how you might say 'novel', as in the book. Literally it means 'new', but I don't think 'newbook' really cuts it. 'Talebook' might be better but a book of stories would also fit that. 'Booktale'? --Hook-nose 21:48, 6 November 2006 (UTC)

We already say "short story", so novel should become "long story".FranzJericho 02:00, 18 May 2007 (UTC)
Use a word that is already there: "saw" (akin to Old Norse saga.) Xelebes 16:36, June 6, 2011 (UTC)


Does anybody else think that the word 'meter' is ok Anglish if anything because of its similarity to the verb 'mete'?. It seems quite logical that something that metes would be a meter. The two words seem to come from the same Indo-European root if not the same Old English root, and has the same trivial differences as 'nose' and 'nasal'. 15:43, 16 November 2006 (UTC)

Yes, I do. I already use it in this way. 'Thermometer' becomes 'heatmeter', 'speedometer' becomes 'speedmeter', and so on. It just so happens that the same word in Anglish and English look the same, despite having different origins. Oswax Scolere 11:13, 17 November 2006 (UTC)


This may have already been considered, but I know of an English prefix which corresponds to re- in the 'back' sense of the word, but not in the 'again' sense of the word. Where the word means 'back', maybe we could use the prefix 'with-'. This can be seen in the words 'withdraw' and 'withhold'. Based on this, a word like 'recall' could become 'withcall' and so on? Sound ok? 16:27, 20 November 2006 (UTC)

Easy -- don't use prefixes. Say "do again" instead of Redo. Anglish must be English, remember. ~Inkstersco
Yeah, that works ok for verbs, but less well for nouns. You can't call a replay an againplay or play again as it doesn't sound very natural. 16:44, 7 August 2007 (UTC)
"Playback(n)". To review is to "look back". A review is a "lookback". ~Inkstersco
And shold be eke (also) Englysshe in the Speechcraft, in such wyse lyke: 'I did that already yesterday' rather than 'I already did that yesterday' the lykeword placement in the seconde wordstring is too muche lyke Frenchspeak. Nothing wrong with 'What mean you' instead of 'What do you mean' either, right? 12:45, 13 May 2007 (UTC)
It is more Germanish to have the workword in the second stead of the wordstring. Sabbath Stone 16:54, 16 January 2009 (UTC)
(forgive the more English forming of my sentences, still learning this moste iinteresting project) Wouldn't a more Germanic form be "I had that already done on yesterday" (Locutov)

There are, indeed, quite a few forefastenings (prefixes) that can be used in all the same sense as 're-.' They include: (a)gain-, with-, wither-, and eft-. There are subtleties amongst them, however, and most of them are used in the 'against' sense of 're-,' but can also be used in future senses. For instance, there is the attested word 'gainstand,' which means to resist or withstand; 'wither-' is cognate to the verb prefixes 'wider-' and 'wieder-' in German with the 're-' meaning; and 'eft-' comes straight from Old English, with a meaning of 'again' or 'back' (it has been used by David Cowley in some of his Anglo-Saxon English derivations, one of which is 'eftnewing,' meaning 'restoration'). The prefix 'back-,' which has been discussed above, could also be used in instances involving 're-'s meaning. --Faxfleet 01:13, February 24, 2010 (UTC), slightly modified February 28, 2010.

Lord's PrayerEdit

Most is mostly straightforward but one sentence is tougher...

"And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil."

here's what I've figured...

"And lead us not toward wrongfinding
But take us from evil."

Horatio 19:15, 6 December 2006 (UTC)

My interpretation
"And lead us not into wrongdoing,"
"but spare us from evil"
How about...
"And lead us not into wrongseeking,"
"but spare us from evil"

poetic version - "And teach us not hellecraft,

but let us take leave of the fallen" Oakiscmann 00:25, May 2, 2010 (UTC)

Enter widescreen

The OE word meaning "to tempt" is costnian so you could say "costning". Also, I think "deliver" is used here in the sense of "free" and not "take".

Please bear in mind my brooking the of Long s (ſ)

I would wiſh for the whole prayer to be cloſer to the elden reckonings, inſtead of being wholly ſhaped anew into the nowen tongue. However, Nowen English ſpeakers need to underſtand it, and it must not be too Latinate (or not at all Latinate, the berathered path). Here be my forthbringing Lord's Prayer baſed on a binding of the true Engelſaxish reckoning:

and ne lead us into costning
ach alease us of evil. So be hit/it (or soothly).

--Player67 (talk) 23:54, November 22, 2017 (UTC)


I know this is most likely not the abode to write about such matters, but I am interested to know if anyone else has thought about "spelling reform" for Anglish, that is to say writing with þ and ð in a way closer to that of Old English? Not only that but also taking words from Old English that have been lost and bringing them back, so we do not have to use -thing suffixes so much? Is this something anyone else has though of or is it another project all together? AnthonySenn 22:15, 15 May 2007 (UTC)

No, that's outside the definition of Anglish. Anglish for the purposes of this site means "English inasmuch as it is Germanic" or "Anglo-Saxon English". Spelling reform is a different project altogether. The only spelling reforms in Anglish are misplaced Latin invasions. So, we write island as iland. Otherwise, it's a non-issue. ~Inkstersco
Well, I'd be lying if I ſaid I've never þought about it. I'm new Angliſh, but I've been uſing Eð and Þorn for ſome time. Ðey were tweenſhiftsome, but I brought þewline to ðe madneſs.Ðæ Bronie Chriſter (talk) 21:12, October 12, 2016 (UTC)
Also, the "-le" (most of the time) and "-dge" seem to come from Anglo-Norman spellings (correct me if I'm wrong), so shouldn't we change them to "-el" (except for modernizations of "-l") and "-cg" onlooksomely?Ðe Bronie Chriſter (talk) 15:33, December 1, 2016 (UTC)


How would one go about saying hemisphere? I'm not sure of its roots, but I think it comes from Greek, so it doesn't exactly work. I looked in the wordbook, but there was nothing.

What about Worldhalf? During my childhood in Australia I am sure that my nanna (born 1872) used this word and, also, the saying:"In this half of the World." Sholto 23:19, 26 May 2007 (UTC)

Why say Worldhalf? "Half of the world" works fine. ~Inkstersco
Hemisphere refers more generally to half of a sphere not not just half of the world. Halfball may be appropriate in some contexts.
Worldhalf is better as a direct replacement of hemisphere, in my opinion, as it allows for further derivation whilst a phrase like 'half of the world' does not; for example, if we were to say 'hemispheric(al),' in Anglish that might be 'worldhalfly' or 'worldhalven.' Furthermore we would actually be enriching the tongue to add the verb 'to worldhalve,' as 'to divide into hemispheres.' --Faxfleet 17:09, February 28, 2010 (UTC)
Trendle is the word for the rimefindle "sphere." Halftrendle comes off the tongue in a not so ungainly way. Xelebes 16:42, June 6, 2011 (UTC)


I see that the word Teutonlandish has been used for the German language. Etymonline however, says that the earlier words for German in English were Dutch or Almain. As Dutch has taken on another meaning now, would it be ok Anglish to use Almain for German? 09:35, 15 August 2007 (UTC)

I can't speak for Almain, but i've been going with (New) High-Theadish/Theidish for the tung, whence Neuhochdeutsch. To say but Theadish might work sometimes, but that would best be had as an oversetting for Germanic. Schreiter 00:30, 18 August 2007 (UTC)
Almain presumably stems from the Latin Alemanni
Since standard German came into being as a book tung, why not "book Doysch" ("doysch" being a transliteration of the Standard Ger. cognate of "theedish"). Saying it this way would emphasize the non-dialectical nature of it (it isnt the common speche). The reasoning for transliterating the German word for German would be to follow the logic of Anthropology in naming tribal subgroups according to pronunciation difference in saying the word for "person" (forbus - tewa,tiwa,towa; lakota,dakota,nakota (soux)) Oakiscmann 00:40, May 2, 2010 (UTC)
Well, Alamanni is believed to come from Germanic for "all men," and thus the attested English form "Alman" could be used in Anglish for the adjective and noun "German." In order to be consistent with historical English phonology, "Deutsch" would probably have to be overset as "Theedish," or at least "Theetch." --Faxfleet 18:25, June 16, 2010 (UTC)
Here are my þoughts: We should call ðe Dutch "Neðerlanders" (since þæt's what þey call themselves), andt ðeir tung "Neðerlandish", so we can call ðe Germans and ðeir tung "Dutch".Ðe Bronie Chriſter (talk) 14:16, October 19, 2016 (UTC)


. . . as in the noun project, e.g. "A new disability project has secured funding". Can anyone suggest an Anglish equivalent. I thought about just using the word goal but I think it's missing the nuance of meaning implied by project in this sense. It should, I think really have the meaning of being both a "goal" and being a location at the same time - like a bricks and mortar place or site. Especially when one uses it in the following sense: "several projects throughout the city". Goalstead is another idea. Please help!!!! -- 23:04, 13 May 2008 (UTC)

Well, there aren't many words for project in the sense that you are using. The most reasonable would probably be an "undertaking" which is within the scope of mainstream English usage. It might also be possible to say something like "several works throughout the city have secured funding." From what I know, the closest thing in OE would be anginn or onginn, which are the noun forms of onginnan, which in turn survives through its variant beginnan (now obviously to begin). However, this original word for this concept is now no longer useful, as "beginning" no longer has any connotation of a project. A neologism based in OE, such as "ongin" or "onginning" might be possible, but it is probably best to use "undertaking", as it exists in modern English. Anyway, if any other thoughts or usages are needed, I'm sure there are other words that might suffice. -Noimnotokay 22:06, 17 May 2008 (UTC)

You could use the literal translation of Latin proiectum, "throwing-forth". --Kcjs

or 'forthcast' (forthcasting, forthcasten, etc.) for the deed-ish (aka verb form) word.

Scoring and timekeepingEdit

If I wish to write a great scoring, such as how many folk live in a great burg, how may I do so? Would a scoring such as 12,000,000 have to be written using scorestaffs, as I have done, or do we have words for great scorings?

Also, how would I tell the time in Anglish? We have the word "stund" for a twenty-fourth share of a day, but what do we call the sixtieth share of a stund? Stundshare? Stundbit? And what do we call the sixtieth share of one of these? I would like to call it a "swing", as one may mete such small bits of time by the swinging of a weight.

Stound, Stundle, Stundling is how I reckon it being. As for great scores, might I put forth Thyrsing (Million), Entling (English Billion or 10^12), Etning (English Trillion or 10^18.) Xelebes 16:49, June 6, 2011 (UTC)


[This is in English, sorry] I am very new to Anglish so I don't have the automatic reflex of using non-latinate words. As an exercise, I'm writing a poem for someone in Anglish (it's highly personal so unfortunately I shan't be publishing it but if I'm happy with my work I'll write more). I haven't metered it yet because that would be silly without knowing which words I'll be using, but I want to say something along the lines of "The dark, rainy street is filled with the sound of a saxophone playing the blues". Sax is a name, so that should probably remain in the translation, but what to do about the -phone suffix?

You can likely keep "blues". Saxophone might become "saxgleer".
Excellent, thanks! But how then would one say "saxophonist" or "saxophone player"? Would it make sense to simply say "saxglee" for "saxophone music"? I have a lot to learn...
Would it not be Saxhorn and Saxhorner? Xelebes 16:51, June 6, 2011 (UTC)


See the Saxophone section above for more context. I'm looking for the style of music.


For which word of Theadish onginning would one wixle 'grammar'? I strongly think that the alikepart of this word would either be 'writrightness', or 'writknow'. Do you have any forestillings?

An Old English word for 'grammar' was 'stæfcræft,' and thus we have in Anglish 'staffcraft,' or, more flowingly, 'stavecraft.' --Faxfleet 00:55, February 24, 2010 (UTC)

I like 'stavecraft', but there is also that put forth by William Barnes, which was 'speechcraft'. He showed how the word 'grammar' is by its own word-shapening (etymology) a half-brained thing, because it denotes a thing written, but not in itself HOW the words altogether are made and brook'd.


I'm thinking something like "overstandsome", since the word comes from the Latin "super", meaning over and "stare", meaning to stand. Does anyone have any other ideas? Nick xylas 07:27, April 29, 2010 (UTC)

folktrothy?Oakiscmann 00:55, May 2, 2010 (UTC)

I'm thinking "ghastled". The oftshapening of "ghast" or "to be visited." "Superstition" is ghastling. Xelebes 16:54, June 6, 2011 (UTC)


I would rad against steadsetting the word 'survive' with 'overlive', because 'overlive' already has the meaning of 'to live too much', just as the words 'oversleep', 'overdo', 'overeat', mean, eachownly (respectively), 'to sleep too much', 'to do too much', and 'to eat too much. We must be careful not to sacrifice the clarity and richness of English for 'anglishness'. Using overlive to mean survive would fordo its other meaning (to live too much), or at least create a twomeaningness (ambiguity). Any forestillings? Abovelive?-- User:To-coming otheredoneness5:25, February 27, 2010 (UTC)

'Abide' is already available, as it can mean to 'suffer' or 'endure,' and its ancestor 'abidan' meant 'to survive' also. --Faxfleet 22:22, February 27, 2010 (UTC)

Maybe so but abide already has to many damn meanings, and really we don't want to kill manyotheredness (variety) here. I would berather scipeing (creating) a new word in the case of survive User:To-coming otheredoneness12:32,February 28, 2010 (UTC)
There is also "outlive", "outlast", and "overcome". User:Pandoradoggle

Dreamlore and Godlore akin words (Mythology and Religion-related words)Edit

OK, this is a bit of an odd request, but can anyone suggest Anglish words for the ranks of the Celestial Heirarchy as defined by Pseudo-Dionysus and the four elementals defined by Paracelsus (gnomes, sylphs, undines and salamanders)? It's for a work of fantasy fiction I'm writing. We have "errand-ghost" for angel on here already, and I guess "high errand-ghost" would be an archangel, but what of the rest (principalities, powers, virtues, dominions, thrones, cherubim and seraphim)?

Powers: mights (It might seem weird, but in other languages this is common. In German "makes" is "macht" and power is "Macht". In fact, the word power comes from latin "potere", which also means "to be able to".)
Cherub seems to come from Assyrian "mighty/great", so maybe mighty-ghost.
Seraph. Burning-one, burning-ghost.
Salamander: From persian for fire-within. But that sounds weird, so I don't know what to say. Maybe fire-wyrm.
Undine: Water-soul. Wave-soul.
Sylph: Comes from sylva nymph, or wood-nymph. Nymph comes from greek for bride. So wood-bride?
Gnome: From greek "thought" (noun, not preterite of verb think). Paracelcus used it as a synonym for pygmy, which comes from greek "dwarf". So my reccomendation is thought-dwarf.
What do you think?
Morgoth Bauglir 18:33, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
Thanks, Morgoth (now there's a phrase that, as a Tolkien fan, I never thought I'd hear myself say!). Weren't the dwarves identified with the dark elves of Nordic mythology? Thought-dark-elf sounds awkward, though.
Would not Undine be a Nixie? Pixie is another word we might be willing to have here, even if it is most likely harkening back to the Picts. Xelebes 19:15, July 9, 2011 (UTC)


What is the word for respect? Loki Falcon 04:43, October 31, 2010 (UTC)

Heed. Morgoth Bauglir 13:40, October 31, 2010 (UTC)


According to the English Wordbook, "poem" is leeth and "poetry" is leethcraft, but that makes me wonder: what is the Anglish word for "prose" in both meanings of a work of prose and the act of writing prose? Speechwriting and speechwritingcraft comes to mind, but "speechwriting" already has a different connotation in English. Maybe "talkwriting" instead? Histumness 13:55, May 25, 2011 (UTC)

04:34, May 31, 2011 (UTC)


As in quantum physics etc. --Nick xylas 08:45, June 30, 2011 (UTC)

We will need to go Orwellish on this. So much flapdoodle out there that it would take a great undertaking to unravel this. But I like the foreshotword FAX- (unit, gap)

faxworks = quantum mechanics

faxlore = quantum physics

Xelebes 19:21, July 9, 2011 (UTC)

I'm using "Motish". Mote = particle. See my oversetting of The Quantum Universe -- The Motish Heavens.--Napoleon of France (Talk) 18:32, April 17, 2012 (UTC)


I had assumed this was discussed elsewhere, but I am unsure now as I cannot find any discussion. Banded in the OED has four entries as a noun and two as a verb (albeit the second a variant of to bandy (to play ball)). One of them is from Old Norse and is now commonly spelt bond (bond in bondage is from Old English housemaster/vassal, though). The rest come from French bande/bende which however comes from Old High German (the Old English cognate is to bind). The original meanings were strap or banner, whereas the meaning of company (men led by a banner) may have arisen in Romance languages and was reintroduced back in the 15th century into German and English (cf. band n.3). Why is banded used (e.g. Banded folkdom of Americksland)? Is this a side-effect of the liberal interpretation on whether only fore-1066 words, only non-Graecolatin words or only Germanic words are allowed in Anglish?

  • As far as I can tell, it seems that "banded" seeks to betell the way in which the lands of the "United States" are made one. That is, in English, it is said they are "federated". In New High German, the like redeship is betold with the forefastening, "Bundes-", which stands in the same way for "Federal", though it means wordly, "Bound". For byspell (f.b.), the "Bundestag" is the lower house of the "federal" lawmaking body, a "Bundesland" is one of the "federal states" of nowtide Germany. It may be that "bound" is a more truefast way to spell this word, f.b. the Boundricks, the Boundlands, or others.
  • It may be that the wanted meaning for "Banded" is to give a feeling that each of the sundry lands is fixed together in the shape of an unbreakable ring, or a band. When it comes to this kind of meaning of a ring or a fastened fetter, "band" is beand.
  • On sundry leaves here within, this land, the "United States" is overset with another word for "United", namely "Foroned". While this may be seemly by the guidelines of the Anglishmoot, it has always seemed unwieldy to me. While I am a newcomer to the making of new Anglish words, it seems to me that "Onemade" is a more seemly oversetting of "United".
  • Maybe we could split the undershed and settle on the "Onemade Boundlands of Americksland", O.B.A. There is much talk and little thwaring on what to call the USA in Anglish, which can also be found in the Talk leaf for the Foroned Ricks leaf. User:Pandoradoggle 26 September 2017

Vestry Edit

How should one say "vestry" and other such church-kinned words in Anglish?

Wyvern Edit

I would've guessed that 'wyrm' = wyvern and 'drake' = dragon, but it seems that 'wyrm' can mean either, so how would one go about this?

New FirststuffsEdit

Earliër þis year, firſtſtuffs 114, 115, 117, and 118 were given names:

  • 114 was named Nihonium
  • 115 was named Moſcovium.
  • 117 was named Tenneſſine, and
  • 118 was named Ogneſſon

So here's what I þey should be callde:

  • Nihonium-Dawnlandſtuff
  • Moſcovium-Moſcowſtuff
  • Tenneſſine-Tenneſſeeſtuff, and
  • Ogneſſon-Ogneſtuff

I would trulie like ȝour þouȝts on þis. Ȝe can find ðe ord for ðe names here. Þanks!Ðæ Bronie Chriſter (talk) 14:02, October 13, 2016 (UTC)

New wordsEdit

Is it acceptable in Anglish to pull new words (words like "splick" and "crasp", which come from no language whatsoëver) straight out of one's own ass as long as they look vaguely English?Ðe Bronie Chriſter (talk) 14:04, October 19, 2016 (UTC)

How do I say Anglish in other tungs? Edit

I put forward "Angelsch" in Theedish, "Anglais pur" or "Anglais regermanisé" in French, "Angılızca" in Turkish, "Angels" in Dutch, "Anglese" in Italish, "शुद्ध अंग्रेज़ी" in Hindi, "پاک انگریزی" in Urdu, "Anglés" and "Anglês" in Spanish and Portuguish, "Angelsk(a)" in Swedish, Norse and Danish, "ਸ਼ੁੱਧ ਅੰਗਰੇਜ਼ੀ" in Punjabish, "Ангелский" or something in Russish, etc.Ronnie Singh (talk)

Switch "Angelsch" in Theedish to "Anglisch" and i would agree with taht. (cf. Englisch, Französisch, Russisch, Italienisch, Spanisch) Alfredikus (talk)
I just like the way "Angelsch" is said, but "Anglisch" abides by the Theedish Staffcraft. Ronnie Singh (talk) 08:13, November 14, 2016 (UTC)

I don't know what the Angles are called in Dawnish, but if it's アングル, then I put forth アングル語 for "Anglish."

Standarding of Anglish words Edit

Standard some words over others. Please, it is getting hard to guess if Dutch is German or Dutch, or if Theedish and Dutch to be used or Dutch and Netherlandish. Ronnie Singh (talk)

My thoughts : Dutch = Netherlandish (<Dutch Nederlands)
German = Theedish and Dutch (<German Deutsch, cf. OE Þeodisc ) Alfredikus (talk)
My þouȝts almost exactly, alðough I would use Þeedish for Proto-Germanic and the Germanic branch of the Indo-Europeän language family.Ðe Bronie Chriſter (talk) 03:03, November 21, 2016 (UTC)
Then Norwegian = Norse, and Norway = Norseland, Africa = Highsunland, African = Highsun, Afrikaans = South Highsunly, Italian = Italish, branch (/in the other sense) = twig(stall), descend = come down, ancestor = fore-elder, grandparent = greatelder, Pakistan = Pureland, Pakistani = Purish, Persia = Perseland, Persian = Persish, Iran = Aryanland or Iranland, Irani = Aryan or Iranish, Afghanistan = Afghanland, Afghan = Afghanish, Pashto = Pashto, Japan = Dawnland, Japanese = Dawnish, attempt = forseek, tolerate = put up with, Egypt = Gypsyland or Masirland, Egyptian = Gypsy or Masirish, Gypsy = Romfolk, Romman, Rommaid, Brittany = Bretonland, Breton = Breton(ish), Catalonia = Cataland, Catalan = Catalish, Spain = Spain, Spanish = Spanish, but Castilian/ Spanish (language) = Castilish, Italy = Italishland, Greece = Grekland or Greekland, Greek = Grekish or Greekish, Ancient = Old, Old High German = Old High Dutch/Theedish, Germany = Theechland (and not Dutchland or Theedishland), Turkey = Turkland, America = Americksland (and not Marksland), United = Foroned (and not Banded), Luxembourg = Luxemborough, Rome = Roma, Austria = Osterike, Saudi Arabia = Saudish Arabland, United Arab Emirates =  Foroned Arabish Emirlands, etc Ronnie Singh (talk) 09:40, November 15, 2016 (UTC)
Actually, "gypsy " does not refer to egyptians, ðe name was given to ðem because it was þouȝt þey were egyptian.Ðe Bronie Chriſter (talk) 03:03, November 21, 2016 (UTC)
I think the word we say "Egypt" is a kinword of the folk name "Copt", but not all of the folk from Egypt are Copts. I like to call a land by its ownname. Those who dwell there now call Egypt "Masir" or like to this ("Misir", "Msr", or any other umwriting) as you put forth. says this name means many things, aside from "Egypt" maybe firstly "the Mickleborough". If we must call the land something only Anglish, then maybe "Mickleboroughland" will fulfill. User:Pandoradoggle 7 September 2017

"War", truly an inborn word ? Edit

War <ME werre, <Late OE werre, wyrre, <Old Norman werre <germanic Frankish werra and - forekindspeech of OE - Old Saxon werran (also akin to OE mierran, cf. NHG wirren), from Proto-Germanic *werrō. So is 'war' truly an word of saxon/frankish birth, wich became later a loanword in Norman and then brought back into the english speech ? Alfredikus (talk) 19:50 Dezember 12, 2016 (UTC)

Debug profiling Edit

Does anyone know how to say that?

Breaktest Forefinding

Use of bœsunder runes Edit

Wän shæll wœ use runes þæt inhold: đ þ ä ë ü ï ჳ œ æ

I find hælf of æll folks putting þäm in ænd þe oþer hælf not.

I brouჳt þis to your frontmind so þæt we would bœ able to stændardize spällœng in Anglish.

I ðœnk þæt wœ should so þæt wœ cæn lœv our œnglish historœ bœhind.

Also should wœ use "ƿ ænd ſ" instead of "w ænd s" or not.

That is up to you. The main thing that we need to be doing for now, is writing in all or almost all Germanish words. By the by, you are meant to end your writing with four waves (~). MýnÆnglishTáwk (talk) 17:05, July 24, 2018 (UTC)

How would you overset the Icelandish word "fullnægingu" for our betokening on the word "orgasm"? Edit

I can't seem to find out how you'd say it.

Magpie Edit

Wikitionary: From Mag, a nickname for Margaret that was used to denote a chatterer, and pie, an archaic word meaning "magpie", from Old French pie, from Latin pīca, from Proto-Indo-European *(s)peyk- (“woodpecker, magpie”).

I think we need a new word for magpies.

Just added a few choices to the English wordbook based on the OE agu


Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.