Toothdoctor Edit

I think "Doctor" oozes Latinness. Can I suggest we drop it? -- Inkstersco 12 Jan 06

I wouldn't be wholly against that. But you can't very well go around calling "doctors" "smiths" all the time. It wouldn't work. Maybe you could say "mansmith" or "bodysmith".. but those strike me as kinda comical. BryanAJParry 21:38, 12 Jan 2006 (UTC)
A doctor is someone with a doctorate, or PHd etc, and a smith is merely a specialist. So, although I would not say Smith for Doctor, I would say toothsmith for dentist(It just so happens that a toothsmith is also almost always a doctor). ~Inkstersco
You haven't explained how we are to get rid of "Doctor", tho. If we can thole it in some words, we can thole it in all. BryanAJParry 11:31, 16 Jan 2006 (UTC)
I'm not sure yet how to replace "doctor", but we don't need it for words like toothsmith, etc. 09:31, 11 February 2006 (UTC)
What do you think of 'healer'? That is the word I have, and also fit it onto the end of other words to mark out those healers who are more narrowly skilled. For show: 'paediatrician' becomes 'childhealer' and 'psychologist' becomes 'mindhealer'. Oswax Scolere 16:43, 11 February 2006 (UTC)
Sounds good. BryanAJParry 17:42, 11 February 2006 (UTC)
Not to dip any small insects in anyone's ointment, but I think a psychiatrist should be a mindhealer, whereas a psychologist should be a mindloreman, mindlorewoman or mindlorester 23:40, 11 February 2006 (UTC)
I agree. BryanAJParry 06:27, 12 February 2006 (UTC)

I also settle with that. It was only for show anyway, not the last word. Oswax Scolere 11:56, 12 February 2006 (UTC)
Some thoughts on "doctor". Maybe "healer" would do for any medical doctor, and "bodysmith" for "surgeon". As a qualification "PhD" we could have "learnedman", "kensman", "highscholar", "highloreman". (In plaintalk PhD is sometimes said to mean "Piling it Higher and Deeper" and MBA is "Master of Bugger All")


In Old English, the word for "doctor" is seemingly leech (akin to the word lich), not healer. A "dentist" would be a toothleech. Xelebes 03:23, May 11, 2011 (UTC)

Data is Put Edit

I don't get this entry. :) BryanAJParry 06:51, 27 June 2006 (UTC)

We already have input output and throughput. I'm trying to think of whether Throughput and Data are synonyms. What about Aniput, Putledge and Rawput? ~Inkstersco
It's a bit tricky to grasp at first sight, or second. Bryan 12:21, 22 August 2006 (UTC)
But (in the non-critical sense), do you have any better ideas? ~Inkstersco

For data, I put forth kenbit(s). Ken (knowledge) + bit. -- -EinWulf ... Wes þu hal! 06:12, June 2, 2012 (UTC)

Spend is goodEdit

Why is the Anglo-Saxon word Spend unacceptable? 12:03, 16 September 2006 (UTC)

Dawn Edit

Does the word 'Dawn' need replacing? 12:53, 6 November 2006 (UTC)

No, most certainly not. Oswax Scolere 15:27, 6 November 2006 (UTC)


I have added the word "loathely" for the entry "disgusting", which is a "calque" of the Old English word for it, "laðlic". Sjheiss 00:39, 10 August 2009 (UTC)

Doesn't English loathsome mean this already? I think we should just stick with a word that's already in the wordhoard instead of making a newer, more obscure one. The great underseeker 19:44, July 15, 2010 (UTC)

Divination: weedgle Edit

What by normal evolution would the word have become in Modern.English. Wigle, Weigle? Would words such as Foreseeing, Foretelling, Soothsaying, Rune-reading also meet the sundry shades of meaning of Divination (the act of divining).?

I formed weedgle from wīġle. but playing around with the sound I guess wichle? It does have the hard g sound which overtime may become ch maybe? --Lord ratman 13:25, October 14, 2009 (UTC)

Additional Anglish For Domesticate? Edit

How about "Tamehaft"? It seems to have the same sort of meaning.Outermost Toe 16:59, November 18, 2010 (UTC)

@Outermost: Why not the onefoldly 'housetame', it puts over the same meaning. -Gallitrot-

Ah, I hadn't seen housetame. I had problems with finding the correct word in the table so I simply searched "Domesticate" and it wasn't in the list of things that came up. Thanks for pointing that out!Outermost Toe 23:16, November 18, 2010 (UTC)

Dune Edit

Dune is an interesting case. Nigh to, 'dune' is an outlandish word, if Theedish. Down (2) is a word I've never heard of, but comes from the same PIE word and indeed means the same as 'dune.' Yet even this word was likely brought in to English, although at a much earlier time. Should we wend 'dune' to down? I mean, there are few other words for mountain in Anglish, besides hill and burg/borg.

Gr8asb8 00:54, January 12, 2011 (UTC)

Dance Edit

Tumb is good but what of OE sealtian? How would it be lifted over to here? Salt? Sealt? Xelebes 14:58, April 25, 2011 (UTC) All right, just saw the words lock, play and leap. Silly me! Xelebes 17:56, June 14, 2011 (UTC)

FWIW, dance has Teutonic roots ... I think it is from Frankish danson or something like that and is common in Germanic tungs. ... Also, OE sealtian has Latin roots ... saltere or saltare ... something like that. -- -EinWulf ... Wes þu hal! 06:10, June 2, 2012 (UTC)
Words that were in Old English and now mean dance are strut and twist, but they didn't mean dance at the time. That seems purer for they are attested in modern english. 17:39, May 17, 2013 (UTC)

tooth-drawer Edit

Is ‘tooth-drawer’ a good twinword for ‘dentist?’ 23:06, January 22, 2014 (UTC)

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.