The Anglish Moot


I think "re-" should be borrowed. In Romish, "re-" meant "backward" or "turning around" and sprang from the IE root "*wer-" meaning "to turn or bend". The English descendants of "*wer-" are words like "wreath", "writhe", "worth", and "warp". So, the English equivalent of "re-" would most likely be akin to "wre-" which might as well be spelt without the "w" anyway.--Jrmints 16:46, 16 March 2007 (UTC)

On the other hand, there is the back steadshot we can make do with. Return → Wharveback, Revenue → Comeback, Rescind and Recant → Stepback, Revoke → Clawback and so forth. Xelebes 14:56, April 14, 2011 (UTC)

Im not fully againststood to re- but mind back that OE had ed- and eft-, both of which had the meaning "back" or "again." So I would forechoose to brook ed- and eft- over re-To-coming otheredoneness 03:36, April 18, 2011 (UTC)


Isn't 'stay' a French word, and therefore not much better than 'remain'? I have listed 'bide' afterwards, but I am aware that this does not hold all the meanings. Oswax Scolere 15:20, 23 Dec 2005 (UTC)

I didn't put "stay" there, but "stay" is more English sounding than "remain". To my ear, at least. I don't really think the criterion is pure Germanicness. BryanAJParry 00:45, 30 Dec 2005 (UTC)
True, remain sounds like is has re- in it, and a Frenchy sound. 20:59, 22 January 2006 (UTC)

Represent is Againnowa[]

I don't understand this Anglish word at all. :) BryanAJParry 18:47, 13 May 2006 (UTC)

My fault. I misunderstood 'present'. It was only afterwards that I realised that nowa is present as in the time sense. DUH! :)
Okay, I get it now. lol. Okay, this is an example of where calqueing can be a bad idea. Remember always: what is the meaning! :) 22:48, 14 May 2006 (UTC)
It's often good to half-calque. Think about the rationale behind a constructed Latinate word. For example, if you calque Velociraptor, you get "fast thief", which is pish, but if we think about what image the namers might have been trying to conjour up, we see that "Dashsnatcher" serves that rationale much better, suggesting a kind of sly poacher of the Cretaceous. BTW, maybe "Rationale" should be Overwill? ~Inkstersco


Can someone please tell me what rike means??

'Rike' means 'state', specifically the government apparatus of a land, and not the land itself. Oswax Scolere 11:37, 11 July 2006 (UTC)

Anon, please sign off your posts somehow, either by logging in or writing your name afterwards. Bryan 09:06, 18 July 2006 (UTC)

The Folkrike = The Republic

I am writing about Plato's The Republic written in 360BC.

Plato wrote in The Folkrike (The Republic) how flesh eating gives rise to ill health, land-dearth, and war. Plato believed vegetarianism was a much better way to live. I see that the word 'republic' is already given as 'commonwealth' and 'folkdom', can I add 'folkrike' too?

Folkdom is often said to mean 'democracy', however I think 'folkweild' is a better word for democracy. Max Pratt. Max Pratt 03:03, 25 January 2007 (UTC)

Firstly, overbringing the name of Plato's book is hard. The name most often given to it is The Republic, but this gives the wrong meaning, and the mistake goes all the way back to Cicero. The Greek name was politeia, which had a meaning of something like (in English) 'system of government' or 'state', that is 'how a land is run'. Thankfully, Anglish has a word that matches politeia almost right, and that word is 'ric' or 'rike'.
Next, I don't know if there is yet a great word for 'democracy', but 'folkdom' is the best that has been thought of up to now. I wonder what all the words for 'democracy' are in other German tongues? Oswax Scolere 12:42, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
A word more English than "rike" would be "rich". "Demo-" springs from the Greek for "division" or "district" which later gained a sense of "common people". The closest English cognates are "to-","tide", "time", "thing", and likely OE "theod", meaning "people"; all which bear a meaning of "division". "-Cracy" is Romish for the Greek "kratia", meaning "power" or "strength". The closest English cognate of "kratia" is "hard", which may still mean "strong". Therefor, a paraphrastic wending might be "burgherstrength" ,folkstrength",or perhaps "diedrich". However, a straight wending would likely be "theodhardth". Almost all European tongues and Israeli use a form of the word "democracy". Icelandic is "lýðræði", Hindi is "lokatantra", and Irish is "daonláthas".--Jrmints 15:28, 16 March 2007 (UTC)

Plato's work, commonly called by its Romish name, was truly called "Πολιτεία", or Polity. However, isn't it somewhat beyond the weir of Anglish to wend names of strange writings?--Jrmints 17:00, 16 March 2007 (UTC)

I settle with that, and cetainly for now, they ought to be well left alone. Maybe in time we can look at shifting some over into Anglish, but it would be too much right now and mean too little. Oswax Scolere 18:23, 16 March 2007 (UTC)


I think Trustworthy should be earmarked for Honest. There should be a distinction between Honest and Reliable. ~Inkstersco


Just wondering what would be some of the words for this. Borgh (a word with similar meaning to borrow) is one that is found in the Old English body of writing in the word BORH, in the ken of "pledge." I'm also thinking of Dreight from Dreigh (to burden), but not like Dright which is someone who has taken upon themself the burden. Does this follow? Xelebes 05:04, April 14, 2011 (UTC)

Answerliness, akin to german antwortlichkeit. How about OE edquid, edqueeth. Or maybe careload, careweight or answerload or answerweight. To-coming otheredoneness 03:31, April 18, 2011 (UTC)

Answerliness does work but I guess I was thinking of what it means in business (My dreight is to find the writs are weighed well. Wither: My answerliness is to find the writs weighed well.) Xelebes 14:42, April 20, 2011 (UTC) Furthermore, look back to the talk on "re". I'm not feeling edquethe as edquethe is more like "revoke" than it is "response." Although, we could say that "revoke" is clawback and "response" is edquethe. Xelebes 17:14, April 20, 2011 (UTC)

Voke in revoke comes from the latin for voice, so revoke i would set over as steven back or edsteven To-coming otheredoneness 01:36, April 21, 2011 (UTC)


According to Etymonline, rocket comes from Italian rocchetto, diminutive of rocca (a distaff), it says the Italian word is probably from a Germanic source (O.H.G rocko "distaff", O.N. rokkr), do you this makes the word Germanic enough to be Anglish?

I have nothing against most of the word, it's the ending et that is irking me a little, I think an Anglish word based on rocko or rokkr would be better. What do you think? Do you have suggestions?

Vopo 15:54, July 26, 2011 (UTC)

Bethryck should be bethrutch[]

The word "bythryck" is from "by-" and "thryck", which comes from Old English "þryccan". The only snag being that "þryccan" became "thrutch" in today's English (though it's byleidish). Therefore, bythrych should be bethrutch.

Sorry for any mistakes, this is my first post.

Littlegageplanet (talk) 09:34, December 31, 2017 (UTC) 


What Anglish kind of word do you like for "respectively"? As in "She and I like the red and the blue one, respectively"? I think I might forechoose eachwise. Not long ago, user Timemaster used setupwise in a talk page. What do you think of that one? Have you come across/can you think of any other words or phrases that could clearly and concisely get across "respectively"? John Petrie (talk) 15:18, April 20, 2018 (UTC)

Eachwise is shorter and seems to get the meaning across a little better. Calquing (bitoversetting?) from Rhinish could give bondwise, deal(ing)wise, linkwise, tiewise, thatchwise, laywise? TimeMaster (talkcontribs) 16:01, April 20, 2018 (UTC)

Yeah, those are good suggestions too. Among them, I like dealwise probably the most. Originally I tried, off and on, to think of a word or phrase that would express the meaning "one-to-one-ly" clearly and briefly. I think the suggestions we've come up with express the meaning of "one-to-one in the same order" without the awkwardness and the hyphens.John Petrie (talk) 15:17, April 23, 2018 (UTC)